Monday, July 7, 2008

LA or BUST

So after the Greyhound fiasco I did finally make it to LA and one of my high school friends picked me as I got off the bus. It had been years since we saw each other and his first words he said to me were some I will always remember, "Dude, this place is in the ghetto. Greyhound riders must be some bad mama-jamas if they take the bus down here. Drug dealers avoid this block. You, you're lucky I was here because if I wasn't, you'd be gettin shot. But keep your head down as we drive out of here, just in case." I said it was nice to see him too...really, and not only because I didn't want to get shot. I hadn't seen Greg in a while but we grew up together. We'd visit each others house's to play video games when we were younger, play whiffle ball together, rent movies, and then play more video games. That was basically what our friendship revolved around from 6th grade to the end of high school, we were young and dumb, but I think that is what most kids did.

So what did we do when I got to his apartment? Now, many years later, and wiser we played video games. But it was on the Nintendo Wii, that's totally different than the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, or Nintendo 64 we used to play on as kids. This was much more grown up...we played Mario Party. When we were younger video games would always be a source of frustration between the two of us because more often than not, one of us would win the video game more than the other. Well, you think that might be something you grow out of but only minutes into my first experience playing Nintendo Wii, when I didn't even know what I was doing, I got a Star (this is a good think in Mario Party). Greg was very unhappy with my beginners luck, and by the end, when I finished in first, he seemed to be almost regretting letting me stay at his place. I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

My LA stop was fun because I got to see an old friend and he was able to show me around, but it was a short one. I had already been to LA and wasn't that interested in seeing it all again. LA was supposed to just be a break stop on my way down to San Diego to stay with another friend, but only days earlier that fell through due to some family issues. So instead LA quickly became my jumping off point for Vegas! But how to get there? Hmmm, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

No comments: